Santa Cruz METRO Planning Department works to ensure that transit service is made available to as many Santa Cruz County residence as possible. Santa Cruz METRO combines ridership data, on-board survey data, and county-wide demographic data to analyze the most (and least) productive transit corridors in the county and designs service accordingly. Additionally, Santa Cruz METRO partners with the Regional Transportation Commission(SCCRTC), the Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments(AMBAG), UC Santa Cruz Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS), the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority(VTA), as well as other County and Local municipalities, and many others in overall transportation improvement planning.
Designing transit service in Santa Cruz County provides challenges that are unique compared to the vast majority of the Nation's transit networks. The mixture of rural and urban areas along with the dynamic geography, topographical landscape, and the diverse needs of our community are just some of these challenges that Santa Cruz METRO faces when planning transit service.
Santa Cruz METRO is always looking for new ideas on how to improve our system to meet the needs of the community. We encourage the members of our community to submit suggestions through the Customer Service Report feature or write to Santa Cruz METRO 110 Vernon St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060 Attn: Planning.
Reports and Planning Documents
- 2013 SRTP: The Short Range Transit Plan (SRTP) serves as a comprehensive review of all METRO procedures and includes an analysis of existing services as well as recommendations for specific service improvements and investments through 2018.
- Watsonville Transit Planning Study:
- 2014 Transit Fact Sheet: Provides information about local fixed-route, Highway 17, and Paratransit operating expenses, operating revenue, and performance from June 2011-June 2014.
- Monthly Ridership Reports: Provides ridership data for fixed-route and Highway 17 services in comparison to previous months and years.
Upcoming Service Changes
- Proposed Summer 2015 Service Changes (coming soon)
- Ongoing new building and renovation projects
Bus Stop Improvements
- Santa Cruz METRO is in the process of updating bus stops at various locations in the Santa Cruz County service area. To request bus stop improvements, see contact information below.
Other Plans & Studies
- 2035 MTP/SCS - A regional development study effort lead by the Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG).
METRO Planning Partners
- SCCRTC - Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission
- AMBAG - Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- VTA - Valley Transit Authority (Santa Clara County)
- MST - Monterey - Salinas Transit (Monterey County)
- TAPS - Transportation and Parking Services (UC Santa Cruz)
Contacting the Planning Department
Address: Santa Cruz METRO 110 Vernon St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060 Attn: Planning
last updated: 5/11/2015