Notice of Public Hearings To Consider Proposals for Fare Restructure & Changes to Paratransit
Effective: Apr 10 2015
Final Board Action:
On Friday, April 10th, 2015 Santa Cruz METRO will be holding two (2) Public Hearings in order to continue to elicit public feedback regarding proposals made during the Public Meetings held during the month of February. These proposals are possible considerations to help alleviate the recurring structural deficit. The structural deficit is caused by recurring costs consistently being greater than recurring revenue, causing METRO to operate at a loss.
The proposed considerations include:
- Restructuring of Highway 17 Fares
- Adjustments to ParaCruz paratransit service
LARGE PRINT of this brochure is available at the METRO Customer Service Information Booth at 920 Pacific Avenue Santa Cruz
Or call the Customer Service Department (831) 425 – 8600.
Public Hearing Schedule:
The Public Hearing will commence at 9:00am at the Santa Cruz City Council Chambers. After adjournment the Public Hearing will reconvene at 6:30pm at the Watsonville Civic Center Council Chambers at which time the METRO Board of Directors will take final board action.
Date: April 10, 2015
Time: 9:00 am
Location: Santa Cruz City Council Chambers
Address: 809 Center Street, Santa Cruz
Date: April 10, 2015
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Watsonville Civic Ctr. Council Chambers
Address: 275 Main Street, Watsonville
We value your input, attend the hearing! If you are unable to attend, please send your comments to:Read more
METRO Administration Offices
110 Vernon Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Telephone (831) 420—2582
Youth Art Poster Contest Results
Effective: Mar 12 - Jun 17 2015
A big THANK YOU to all of our participants in Santa Cruz METRO's Youth Art Poster Contest, themed “Cruz with METRO”. We had so many wonderfully creative submissions that making a final decision was very difficult for the judging committee.
Results of the 2014 METRO Student Art Contest are:
Headways Cover winner:
- Simona - Grade 6 Mission Hill Middle School
- 1st Place: Fatou - Grade 5, Santa Cruz Gardens
- 2nd Place: Kambelle - Grade 4, Main Street Elementary
- 3rd Place: Olivia - Kindergarten, Main Street Elementary
- Honorable Mention: Grace - Grade 4, Main Street Elementary
Middle School Category:
- 1st Place: Emily - Grade 8, Mission Hill Middle School
- 2nd Place: Cole - Grade 6, Mission Hill Middle School
- 3rd Place: Simona - Grade 6, Mission Hill Middle School
- Honorable Mention: Josie - Grade 8, Mission Hill Middle School
After March 12th, ALL of the artwork submitted will be on display in the interior of the Santa Cruz Metro Buses, and the top winning entries will be seen on the exterior of the METRO buses, and will also be displayed at the Santa Cruz Metro Center (920 Pacific Avenue, Downtown).
The winning entry is featured on the cover of the Spring Headways Rider's Guide available March 12, and on our home page. All entries are displayed on the Santa Cruz METRO facebook page at:
A Note from the CEO (February)
Effective: Feb 10 - Jun 17 2015
This is the next installment in our discussion about information we have been presenting to the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District (METRO) Board of Directors as we strive to understand the contributing factors to the structural deficit and identify potential solutions. We have now completed five workshops with the Board. As we seek to achieve transparency, I encourage you to take advantage of our website and follow our Board presentations by going to Board Agenda and Minutes Archives and then choose the Agenda Packet you are interested in reviewing. Please note that the Structural Deficit Workshops started on August 8, 2014 and have occurred at the first Board meeting each month. However, in January and February they are scheduled to occur at the second Board meeting in the month.
Public Meetings are scheduled throughout February, and final Board action is set for April 10th 2015 (see above, Public Hearings). Please continue to follow this discussion monthly as we present additional material to the Santa Cruz METRO Board of Directors as we work diligently to resolve the funding challenges ahead.Read more
These are a few key points contained in the recent workshop:
- We learned that our peer agencies, in which we benchmark, have done a number of things to balance their budgets since the 2008 economic crisis. Those include various combinations of fare increases, service reductions, wage freezes and the use of reserves.
- Annual Budget: The Board, by consensus, seeks to establish and maintain certain key reserves at suggested levels in areas of Workers’ Comp, Liability Insurance, Cash Flow and Operating Reserves.
- The list of Unmet Needs is growing. This growing list reflects service requests identified by the community, our customers and stakeholders. It contains a number of potential service opportunities that could be considered if there were funding identified.
- METRO staff has identified a number of efficiencies and revenue enhancements that could help bridge the gap. One of these revenue enhancements includes consideration of a restructuring of the Highway 17 fares.
- ParaCruz, which operates as the second highest cost/trip among our peers, is seeking public comment on a number of efficiencies, including aligning the days and hours of service to the fixed route service. We are also seeking public comment on a proposal to establish a mileage-based ParaCruz fare.
- The Board understands that resolving the structural deficit will take a multi-year approach.
- Numerous public meetings will be convened throughout the county to receive public input on these proposals. Based on the public input, the Board will determine which proposals to take back to the public in a Public Hearing.
Alex Clifford, CEO
Santa Cruz METRO
Quarterly Service Updates
Spring Service Mar 12, 2015 - Jun 17, 2015
Route 6 - Broadway / Frederick
This route has been discontinued.
Route 35 - San Lorenzo Valley (SLV)
Weekends: Service to Big Basin State Park has been reinstated. The 8:30 AM and 6:30 PM trips from Santa Cruz to Boulder Creek will end at Big Basin State Park. The 10:05 AM trip from Country Club to Santa Cruz will now go into service at Big Basin State Park at 9:50 AM. The 7:58 PM trip from Country Club to Santa Cruz will now go into service at Big Basin State Park at 7:48 PM.
Route 40 - Davenport / North Coast Beaches
Weekends: Service to Waddell Creek has been reinstated in the afternoon. This trip will depart Santa Cruz METRO Center at 4:30 PM and serve Waddell Creek north of Davenport.